Make It offers London-based makers aged under 26 years the space and support to build their own craft-based business. Our two-year programme is designed to give you everything you need to start up: two years of business support and subsidised studio space at Cockpit.
Awards and bursaries
Current awardees: Alice Burnhope, Brianna Mills, Elna-Marie Fortune, Joe Garcia, Molly OHalloran, Rebecca George, Yolande Mutale
Benefits included with Make It
- Studio space for two years in the creative community at Cockpit Bloomsbury (WC1N 2NP)
- Workshops to help you build a vision and set goals for your business, giving you the building blocks to get started
- One-to-one coaching and support from our in-house business team
- Selling and promotional opportunities including two annual Cockpit Open Studios events
A place on Make It is worth up to £5,000 and we can offer it to you for free in the first year. In the second year we ask for a small contribution of £20 a week.
The total sum is linked to the cost of the space and support services. Electricity costs, insurance and office service charges are payable on top. The studio space allocated is at Cockpit’s discretion. Please note that most studios are shared, and sizes vary but an average studio space per maker is around 100-150sq ft.
This is for you, if you:
– Are aged 26 or under
– Are based in London
– Have a craft skill that you’ve self-taught, learnt on the job or studied
– Have made something you’re proud of and want to sell or exhibit
– Face challenges and need time, space and support to get to the next level
– Will commit to the programme and building your business at least two days a week
– Be willing and able to make a commitment to take up the programme for its full duration
- Arrange and pay for their own public liability insurance (minimum £5m) and contents insurance before to the start date.
- Be currently living in the UK and entitled to remain in the UK for the period of the Award. Cockpit is unable to sponsor or support visa applications.
What do we mean by craft?
‘A creative activity involving skill in making things by hand.’ On Make It in the past we have seen everything from printers & embroiderers, puppet makers and fine & contemporary jewellers to milliners and textiles artists. In the wider Cockpit community we have shoe makers, paper marblers, wood turners, leatherworkers, ceramicists and many more. You could be working in any of these disciplines.
How to apply for Make It
We particularly encourage applications from those who are underrepresented in craft including non-graduates, disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse people, LGBTQ+ people, and people from Black, Asian and Global Majority backgrounds. We welcome applicants from a range of educational backgrounds and there is no minimum formal qualification for this programme.
To apply please complete the application form.
Awards and bursaries at Cockpit
All awards and bursaries at Cockpit include studio space, business support and membership of a vibrant craft community, giving successful makers the space and time to develop their profile, grow their business or practice, and increase profitability. We are looking for applicants who demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit, creative excellence and highly developed craft skills
Past awardees: Eva the Weaver, India Copley, Paige Denham
February’s new makers
Discover four new makers joining our studios this month – all recipients of our exclusive Awards.Read more
Cockpit unveils plans to develop Deptford Studios
Unveiling plans to develop our Deptford StudiosRead more
Onome Otite and Malaika Carr at V&A
Drop-in workshops inspired by Africa Fashion exhibition.Read more