Designed for aspiring or established turners – i.e. people who practice the art and craft of turning on a lathe in wood or other materials. The Award will help the winning turner by providing the space and time to grow their business, increase profitability and develop their profile. We are looking for an individual who can demonstrate an entrepreneurial spirit as well as creative excellence and craft skills.
Awards and bursaries
Turners’ Award at Cockpit
Open for applications
Applications close: 11th April 2023
Current awardee: Zoe Worton
- Studio space for one year within the creative community at Cockpit Deptford (SE8 3DZ)
- Business support services including one-to-one coaching and business development workshops
- Selling and promotional opportunities, including two annual Cockpit Open Studios events
This is a match funded place for one year worth up to £4,500. The successful applicant will match this award by paying £1,000 over 12 months. The total value covers the cost of studio space and support services Awardees receive. Please note that most studios are shared, and sizes vary.
- Be aspiring or established turners – i.e. people who practice the art and craft of turning on a lathe in wood or other materials
- Commit to attending our Induction Day and full set of Make It Count business development workshops
- Commit to taking up the Award and developing their practice for the full duration of the Award
- Arrange and pay for their own public liability [minimum £5m] and contents insurance before to the start date
- Be currently living in the UK and entitled to remain in the UK for the period of the Award. (Cockpit is unable to sponsor or support visa applications.)
How to apply
We particularly encourage applications from those who are underrepresented in craft including non-graduates, disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse people, LGBTQIA+ people, and people from Black, Asian and Global Majority backgrounds. We welcome applicants from a range of educational backgrounds and there is no minimum formal qualification for this Award.
To apply please complete the application form.
Awards and bursaries at Cockpit
All awards and bursaries at Cockpit include studio space, business support and membership of a vibrant craft community, giving successful makers the space and time to develop their profile, grow their business or practice, and increase profitability. In applications, we are looking for individuals who demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit, creative excellence and highly developed craft skills.
About The Worshipful Company of Turners
The Worshipful Company of Turners of London is a Livery Company and runs a charitable trust to promote the art and craft of turning. It does this in a number of ways; by supporting the Register of Professional Turners, holding biennial Turning Competitions and awarding bursaries, grants and prizes to promising turners. The Turners’ Company also holds exhibitions, lectures and demonstrations to promote and preserve the craft.
Past awardees: Chloe Robertson, Darren Appiagyei, Eleanor Lakelin, Jason Lock, Mike Groves