Learn how to ‘paint on water’ using centuries-old marbling techniques to create 8-12 of your own beautiful papers.
If you love playing with paint or getting creative with paper, this workshop is for you. Marbling is one of the most rewarding and fun crafts out there – plus it’s virtually impossible to do it ‘wrong’!
What to Expect
During this fast-paced three-hour workshop, you will be given a thorough introduction to the beautiful art of paper marbling, including a brief history, the technical ‘do’s and ‘don’t’s, and a lot of trying it out.
Paper marbling is a centuries-old art where paint is floated upon a bath of thickened water and drawn through with various tools to create striking, fluid patterns. In this marbling workshop, you will learn:
- how to make the thickened water
- how to prepare paper for marbling
- techniques for controlling the behaviour of the paints
- how to create all kinds of beautiful patterns.
Contemporary paper marbler Lucy McGrath will demonstrate various techniques and talk you through how to recreate them yourself, providing all the tools, equipment and materials you might need to get really experimental.Marbling is great fun but super messy so make sure you wear old clothes (and shoes)! You don’t need to bring anything except a healthy dose of creativity.
You can opt to get your favourite paper made into a beautiful hand-bound sketchbook, notebook or diary at 30% off the RRP, an exclusive offer for marbling workshop attendees. Perfect for a special gift or memento.
We take the safety and security of our guests and staff very seriously and have completed a full risk assessment for our marbling workshops to ensure the lowest risk of COVID-19 infection.
- wearing of face masks or visors is mandatory for all participants and staff
- workshops are held in a large indoors space and all windows will be opened for maximum air flow
- all surfaces, door handles and fixtures cleaned before and after workshop
- hand sanitiser available at entrance to building
- hand washing station is within workshop room and accessible throughout the session
If you can no longer attend the workshop, please contact us to let us know at least 72 hours before the event for a full refund or rebooking onto a suitable date.