An award for craftspeople at a turning point in their skill development. The Newby Trust Award at Cockpit offers one year of business support, subsidised studio space at Cockpit, and a grant to support craft skill development. The Award is open to makers practicing any craft discipline.
Awards and bursaries
Newby Trust Award at Cockpit
The Newby Trust Award at Cockpit
- Studio space for up to 1 year at Cockpit
- A £900 grant to support craft skill development
- Business support services including one-to-one coaching and workshops
- Selling and promotional opportunities including two annual Cockpit Open Studios events
Who can apply?
A maker practicing any craft discipline who is at a turning point in their skill development, looking to grow and achieve financial sustainability.
About the Newby Trust
Newby Trust makes grants to registered charities under the general categories of education, social welfare and health. It also has a small grants programme providing funds for individuals in need. The Trustees and members of the Trust are all descendants (or spouses of descendants) of the founder, H.N. Smith.
About Awards & Bursaries at Cockpit
All awards and bursaries at Cockpit include studio space, business support and membership of a vibrant craft community, giving successful makers the space and time to develop their profile, grow their business or practice, and increase profitability. We are looking for applicants who demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit, creative excellence and highly developed craft skills.
We particularly encourage applications from those who are underrepresented in craft including non-graduates, disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse people, LGBTQ+ people, and people from Black, Asian and Global Majority backgrounds. We welcome applicants from a range of educational backgrounds and there is no minimum formal qualification for this programme.
- You will be responsible for arranging and paying for your own public liability insurance (minimum £5m) and contents insurance before the start date.
- You need to be entitled to remain in the UK for the period of the Award. Cockpit is unable to sponsor or support visa applications.
- You must be committed to taking up the award and completing our Business Incubation programme.
In Memorium: Queen Elizabeth II
We remember Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II with fondness, respect and gratitude.
Alumni return for open studios
Cockpit’s alumni community numbers nearly 600 makers and we could not be prouder of making an impact on so many creative businesses. Having a place...
Jubilee fun at Summer Festival
with thanks to the Arts Council’s Let’s Create Jubilee Fund