An award for craftspeople at a turning point in their skill development. The Newby Trust Award at Cockpit offers one year of business support, subsidised studio space at Cockpit, and a grant to support craft skill development. The Award is open to makers practicing any craft discipline.
Awards and bursaries
Newby Trust Award at Cockpit
Opens for applications: 3rd October 2022
Current awardee: Daisy Tempest
The Newby Trust Award at Cockpit
- Studio space for up to one year in the creative community at Cockpit
- A £900 grant to support craft skill development
- Business support services including one-to-one coaching and business development workshops
- Selling and promotional opportunities including two annual Cockpit Open Studios events
This is a heavily subsidised space in shared studio for one year worth up to £3,100, plus a grant of £900 to support craft skill development.
The successful applicant will supplement this award in first year by paying £500 over 12 months. The total sum is linked to the cost of the space and support services. Electricity costs, insurance and office service charges will be payable on top and cannot be paid from the Award. The studio space allocated is at Cockpit’s discretion. Please note that most studios are shared, and sizes vary but an average studio space per maker is around 100-150sq ft.
The grant could be used to include short training courses, tools, equipment, mentoring and/or any other activity that supports craft skill development. It must be spent within the Award year, and is redeemable against the cost, with proof of purchase.
- Commit to taking up the Award and developing their practice for the full duration of the Award.
- Commit to attending our Induction Day and full set of Make It Count business development workshops.
- Arrange and pay for their own public liability insurance (minimum £5m) and contents insurance before to the start date.
- Be currently living in the UK and entitled to remain in the UK for the period of the Award. Cockpit is unable to sponsor or support visa applications.
How to apply
To apply please complete the application form which will be linked here here when the opportunity opens.
About the Newby Trust
Newby Trust makes grants to registered charities under the general categories of education, social welfare and health. It also has a small grants programme providing funds for individuals in need. The Trustees and members of the Trust are all descendants (or spouses of descendants) of the founder, H.N. Smith.
Awards and bursaries at Cockpit
All awards and bursaries at Cockpit include studio space, business support and membership of a vibrant craft community, giving successful makers the space and time to develop their profile, grow their business or practice, and increase profitability. We look for applicants who demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit, creative excellence and highly developed craft skills.
Craig Yamey – British Library Shop
an interview with the designer of the new Alice in Wonderland range
Cockpit makes Top 100 social enterprises list for a third year
For the third straight year Cockpit has been recognised as one of the UK’s top 100 social enterprises in the NatWest SE100 Index 2021.
The Cockpit Effect 2022