An award for a maker working in any craft discipline with a commitment to high quality craftsmanship. Harriet’s Trust Award offers up to three years of business support and subsidised studio space at Cockpit.
Awards and bursaries
Harriet’s Trust Award at Cockpit
Current awardee: Ellen Mae Williams
- Studio space for up to three years within the creative community at Cockpit
- Business support services including one-to-one coaching and business development workshops
- Selling and promotional opportunities, including two annual Cockpit Open Studios events
This is a heavily subsidised space in shared studio for up to three years, worth up to £5,000 in the first year (with further support in years two (£3,000) and three (£2,000) *.
The successful applicant will supplement this award in first year by paying £500 over 12 months. The total sum is linked to the cost of the space and support services. Electricity costs, insurance and office service charges will be payable on top and cannot be paid from the award. The award space allocated is at Cockpit discretion. Please note that most studios are shared and sizes vary.
*Contributions of £1,000 and £2,000 over 12 months are required from the successful Maker in years 2 and 3.
- Fully research and address the health and safety requirements of their practice and be prepared to invest as required to keep the shared studio space a safe environment for themselves and the other occupants. This could include adding ventilation equipment and flooring.
- Have a commitment to high quality craftsmanship.
- Commit to taking up the Award and developing their practice for the full duration of the Award
- Commit to attending our Induction Day and full set of Make It Count business training workshops
- Arrange and pay for their own public liability insurance [minimum £5m] and contents insurance prior to the start date
- Be currently living in the UK and entitled to remain in the UK for the period of the Award. (Cockpit is unable to sponsor or support visa applications.)
How to apply
We particularly encourage applications from those who are underrepresented in craft including non-graduates, disabled, D/deaf and neurodiverse people, LGBTQIA+ people, and people from Black, Asian and Global Majority backgrounds. We welcome applicants from a range of educational backgrounds and there is no minimum formal qualification for this Award.
To apply please complete the application form.
Awards and bursaries at Cockpit
All awards and bursaries at Cockpit include studio space, business support and membership of a vibrant craft community, giving successful makers the space and time to develop their profile, grow their business or practice, and increase profitability. In applications, we are looking for individuals who demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit, creative excellence and highly developed craft skills.
Imagining Deptford’s Future
Laughter and creativity filled Cockpit Deptford last weekend in the first of our community workshops.Read more
Applications open now
For over 30 years, Cockpit has provided funded and subsidised studio spaces for talented craftspeople in London, along with in-house business suppo...Read more
Cockpit jewellers at Goldsmiths’ Fair
Goldsmiths’ Fair 2021 28 September – 10 October Goldsmiths’ Fair is an annual selling event and exhibition showcasing a curated selection of work b...Read more